If you’ve recently moved into a smaller living space or are just looking to maximize the potential of your current home, then you know that finding the right furniture pieces can be tough. One of the first dilemmas many people face is the age-old question of Murphy bed vs. sleeper sofa.
Both options offer similar features. How do you decide which one is best for you? Let’s take a look at both pieces of furniture and discover which one fits your lifestyle better.
What is a Murphy Bed?
A Murphy bed (also known as a wall bed or pull-down bed) is a unique piece of furniture that offers both style and functionality. Named for its inventor, William Lawrence Murphy, it is mounted to a wall or within a standing frame or cabinet. It can be lifted and concealed when not in use.
This type of bed is perfect for small spaces because it takes up no floor space while it’s stored. They come in different sizes — from twin-sized beds to king- and queen-sized — so no matter what size mattress you prefer, you can find a Murphy space-saving bed that fits your needs.
If you’re looking for something that will save more floor space but won’t be used frequently as a sleeping area, then a Murphy bed may be the better option. Wall beds fold up against the wall (or into it), taking up less space in your guest room, living room, or home office. It’s one of the best bed options for this reason.
Additionally, Murphy wall beds are great for homes with limited square footage. They are ideal for studio apartments, lofts, and other living spaces where every inch counts. They typically come with adjustable mattress supports and built-in storage compartments to make them even more useful.
What is a Sleeper Sofa?
Sleeper sofas (or a pull-out couch) are an excellent way to add seating and sleeping space without taking up too much room in your home. These couches have hidden mattresses that fold out from underneath their cushions when needed, making them perfect for overnight guests.
Sleeper sofas come in all shapes and sizes, too — from loveseats to sectionals. They can fit into any decor style easily. Additionally, they usually come with helpful features, such as built-in cup holders or storage compartments that make them even more versatile and useful in small spaces.
Which Should You Choose?
When choosing between Murphy beds and sofa sleepers, the right choice for you depends on your lifestyle and needs. Compared with regular beds, either a sleeper or wall bed takes up less space. But if you need an extra sleeping surface but don’t want something bulky taking up too much permanent floor space in your home, then a Murphy bed might be the best solution for you.
On the other hand, if you need extra seating as well as sleeping options, then a sleeper sofa might be more appropriate for your lifestyle.
Consider how often you think you’ll have overnight guests before deciding which piece of furniture will work best for you.
Broadway Furniture Choices
Broadway Furniture can help you decide which might be best for you and your home. When comparing these two pieces of furniture, there are several more things to consider:
- Size: Murphy beds take up less floor space than sleeper sofas do.
- Price: Murphy beds may be more expensive than sleeper sofas due to their construction and the specialized hardware required for installation. There can also be big differences in comfort levels for each type of bed across various price points.
- Set-up: A Murphy bed requires installation and mounting, but once it is installed, it takes just seconds to fold out into a comfortable sleeping area. Sleeper sofas are set up intact, but prepping them for bedtime may take several minutes or more.
- Comfort: Sleeper sofas tend to provide a less comfortable sleeping surface than Murphy beds due to their thin, foldable bed mattress pads. However, this varies from model to model and person to person (i.e., personal preference). Thicker mattresses may not always provide more support.
- Maintenance: Both will need regular cleaning. Each may need replacement parts from time to time. Furthermore, both are prone to wear and tear due to frequent folding and unfolding.
When deciding between a Murphy bed or sleeper sofa, remember to consider setup time, size, and storage. Ultimately you should pick what works best with your lifestyle — whether that’s speed of setup or budget.
No matter which option you choose — a Murphy bed or a sleeper sofa — either piece can provide plenty of comfort and style while helping save valuable floor space in any home.
Stop by the store or get in touch with us for details. We’re here to help!